- Hosted a Nutrition Program Design Assistant Tool Technical Advisory Group (TAG) meeting to identify needed revisions and adaptations to improve and better promote the resource. Supported action plan and revision process that resulted from TAG.
- Organized several nutrition related sessions at the CORE Group Spring and Fall Meetings including a half-day ENA orientation and continued to disseminate the Essential Nutrition Actions and the Nutrition Program Design Assistant (NPDA).
With the Malaria and SMRH Working Groups, continued to collaborate with MCHIP and other partners to increase knowledge and attention around integrated anemia prevention and control through the Anemia Task Force now led by USAID and supported by a secretariat including CORE Group, MCHIP, FANTA-3 and SPRING.
- Participated in and contributed to the collaborative work of the Maternal Infant Young Child Nutrition - Family Planning Technical Working Group and related toolkit development for K4Health http://www.k4health.org/toolkits/miycn-fp and help promote NACS/HIV.
Contributed to Global Action Plan for Scaling up Nutrition (SUN) dissemination and Thousand Days Initiative.
- Contributed to systematic diffusion and increased programmatic knowledge around technical content and program strategies emphasized in the Nutrition Program Design Assistant tool and the Essential Nutrition Actions framework with special emphasis on anemia and linking with the TOPS Food Security and Nutrition Network and related food security and agricultural efforts.
- Finalized Essential Nutrition Actions Trilogy in English and French (with HKI, JSI, FANTA, WHO)
- Hosted a training in the Nutrition Program Design Assistant Tool (with TOPS, Fanta II) for program managers.
- Participated as a key partner in anemia related efforts to not only diffuse guidance on best practices for scaling up anemia programs, but also to research and draft key messages and engage partners in integrated approaches. Participated in and contributed to USAID-led Anemia Consultation.
- Participated in Scaling-Up Nutrition Civil Society Taskforce.
- Launched the Nutrition Program Design Assistant (NPDA) Reference Guide and Workbook to help program planning teams design the nutrition component of their programs and select the most appropriate community-based nutrition approaches for their specific geographic targets.
- Contributed to the Global Nutrition Action Plan.
CORE Group Nutrtion Working Group held a Positive Deviance/Hearth Technical Advisory Group (TAG) meeting in early 2009 in order to:
- review implementation and results of PD/Hearth from recent experiences
- explore challenges and modifications in PD/Hearth implementation and make recommendations related to both essential elements and implications for scale; and
- identify how PD/Hearth has been integrated into overall nutrition programs and with other approaches in order to make programmatic recommendations for the NPDA
Presentations, detailed TAG notes and recommendations.
- Hosted two Technical Advisory Group (TAG) meetings to guide the development of a tool to improve the design of the nutrition component of Child Survival and Title II programs. The Nutrition Pathways Decision Tool has been extensively reviewed by members and partners and field-tested in Malawi with seven organizations as part of a multi-organization proposal for Title II programming.
- Hosted several technical updates over the last year on topics including: recent advances in understanding the long term consequences of improving pre-school nutrition for human capital formation and economic productivity; a review of member program experiences to date in child nutrition, with a focus on exclusive breastfeeding to improve child nutrition; and building effective collaboration for improving breastfeeding practices.